Right about this time of year, we start to crave the perfectly fresh, juicy and flavorful tomatoes that you have to wait until at least mid-summer to enjoy. So, what do we do when we don’t want to wait? We turn to the next best thing, and dig into our stash of MM Local Tomatoes. This tomato sauce adapted from Marcella Hazan’s recipe is perfect for our tomatoes – so you can still get that taste of summer when you are craving it the most.
Summer Fresh Tomato Sauce
(adapted from Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce)
- 1 jar of MM Local Tomatoes with Basil (about 2 cups of tomatoes with juice)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- Combine the tomatoes, their juices, the butter and the onion halves in a saucepan. Add a pinch or two of salt.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, mashing any large pieces of tomato with a spoon. Add salt as needed.
- Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta. This recipe makes enough sauce for about a pound of pasta.