Slow, Sunday mornings call for something special. French toast is one breakfast (or brunch) that can be re-invented many times over, in so many tasty, tasty ways.
The following is our take on what a french-toast-filled morning should look like. Our Simply Pears fit in effortlessly with this classic and we can’t get enough of it’s delicate flavor (or the natural syrup that it comes with – who says that “maple” owns the breakfast syrup monopoly?!). Read up and make some for your nearest and dearest next brunch-time!
- Sliced bread of your choice
- 2 eggs
- A spot of vanilla extract
- A dash of cinnamon
- A spot of milk (or your favorite milk substitute)
- MM Local Simply Pears
- Maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup of almonds, chopped roughly
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread flaked coconut and chopped almonds evenly on a baking sheet.
- Toast mixture lightly, checking at 4-5 minute intervals and mixing to ensure even browning.
- Remove from oven when the coconut and almond mixture looks lightly browned.
- Chop MM Local Simply Pears into slivers.
- Save some of the packing liquid from the pears for use as syrup
For french toast
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium.
- Whisk your egg, vanilla extract, cinnamon and milk together in a shallow bowl.
- Coat each piece of bread in egg mixture on both sides.
- Place each piece of bread in heated skillet and cook until browned on each side.
- Place several browned pieces of french toast on a plate.
- Top generously with slivered pears, toasted coconut and almond.
- Drizzle maple and/or pear syrup over the plate.
- Dig in!